Saturday 28 July 2012

Olympic Breakdown

Ok so just to clarify "Olympic Breakdown" refers to me giving my opinion on the olympics. Not i'm having a breakdown because of the olympics. But it has been like christmas hasnt it. The run up was so long and a few weekes before it all got a bit much. Where is EVERYWHERE and i felt like the advertising for it had gone into power drive. cutt to me shouting at the tv going "YES I KNOW!!!!" 


I'm not that into sport but i do like things like the ahletics. the diving the swimming etc. Dont get me wrong i like a run but on a treadmill where i can see mtv. I could never run a marathon. 30 mins running time tops! And its offical guys. This time around we are all allowed to officially fancy the great Tom Daly. Last time around it felt a bit wrong as we was not of age, but four years have passed and not its ok. So go TOM!


And the much anticipated opening ceremony began. But first came the countdown. In which there was far too much waffle. So me and aunty chris sat down with a box of wine and a bumper tub of houmous. I wish the bbc would have had some alternative voice over for the ceremony. The way grayham norton does the Eurovision. Mine and christines was hilarious. Much chuckling and mocking.


And so it began.
Danny Boyle directed and I thought he did it beautifully. none of the cliches I had on my guesslist were to be seen. apart from the Beatles and Paul McCartney. First thing we saw was the begining of thames, fast paced film follows the river into London, Easteneders the Tube, London calling, classical, lilly allen befroe the offical 60 second countdown begun.


"and did those feet........"(goospepimples already, what a genius) cut to boy singing.
cut to cricket and men with tashes.


Choirs from around the UK, oh theres Danny Boy. Bread Of Heaven.


7 minites in and he's already sewn a rich taperstry of sound and images together. Great sporting moments, galloping horses. Men in top hats. Back to jerusalam (more goosepimples)


Quotes from shakespeare to the soundtrack of Nimrod - er could this BE any more british!


The music was realy evocative and the cut to the poppys and the soldiers was very moving.

I did think the jump from Suffrogettes to the Beatles was a bit much tho. lol. Thought maybe they could have padded it out a bit with historic figures. Makes me wander how many of the referances the overseas watchers got and how much explaing their voice over teams had to do.


Intestingly no mention of how we pillaged and stole our way to forming the british empire, - GO FIGURE!


Perhaps the mst tounge in cheek was the james bond visits the queen part. I cant believe she agreed to it. I was so sure it was going to be a look alike, no kids its the actual queen. So they get into the helicopter and for a moment I actually thought she was going to ride james bond tandem into the stadium.


Wow that would have been amazing.


The copter flies over london (more goosepimples) to the tune of the damn busters.


I thought the whole thing was very well thought out. The world was watching and I thought Danny Boyle delivered beatifully. It wasnt cheesy, it wasnt overly dramatic and best of all we had no idea what to expect.


The "queen" jumping out of helicopter to james bond theme tune (goosepimples)


It was like britishism top trumps. If the queen could have pretended she didnt find the ceremony as dull as she did it would have been marvelous. She dosnt smile much does she. You think with her wealth and power she'd crack a smile once in a while.


We're brits and we do love a bit of pomp and circumstance. And thats what we got.


The chaos choir of deaf children, why in pajamas? why?
We may never know.


loved the literary referances, peter pan to the tune of the shining was it? I'm not a scary film person. oh the exorcist? was that on purpose we think?

The NHS bit came over a bit like a doctor who epoisode. Why so long on the national health service? Tenuous link which I missed I'm afraid.


Jk rowling, The Childcatcher, Wierd horses. All looked a bit suspect. voldermort? Dunno. Never ready harry potter.


But the mary poppins ladies saved the day.  (more goosepimples)


Very large baby. Nope dont get that bit. Did anyone else? if so please tell me why.

And so it begins. Is it four weeks its on for? Dunno.

Today been watching the swimming and the rowning. The athletes make me feel tired. I don my cap at them. I mean I can swim but you cant really call it swimming. Its more NOT DROWNING. I look like a tired dog swimming for the shore.

Its all about the Tom Daly really. Come on Tom.
I wish I looked that good in speedos.

One day.

I'm gunna hula hoop my way to his body.
I love making big statments like that and almost believing them.

Time will tell.

Enjoy the show kids.
M. x

No comments:

Post a Comment